Thursday, January 26, 2012

Love me some Jess...


Do you ever feel like watching television has become a chore?  There are so many “real-life” shows on now, from cop dramas to military dramas to more cop dramas.  T.V. has become so heavy, it’s almost disheartening to watch these days.  If I see another dead, bloated corpse, or beat-up teenage prostitute, I might actually scream.

Thankfully, there are actually some shows that are simply enjoyable to watch.  One of my favorites is The New Girl.  It stars Zooey Deschanel, sister to Emily Deschanel of Bones fame.  I enjoy her as an actress anyway (loved the Wizard of Oz miniseries she was in!), and when you pair her light-hearted, good-natured, lovingly-naive character Jess with the mish-mash of her endearing male roommates, you get a show that makes me glad I have a television to watch.

The show is poignant, without being melodramatic.  It’s a comedy, and knows it’s a comedy, so it doesn’t pretend to be something else.  You fall in love with the characters, and their interaction are so seemless and perfect you’ll find yourself wishing you lived in their apartment.  That’s how t.v. should make us feel.  We get enough crap and death and destruction in the real world.  We don’t need it for our evening entertainment, too.

Don’t get wrong, I love a good CSI episode (Vegas or NY, never Miami), and I’m a sucker for Alex O’Laughlin (Hawaii 5-0, in case you didn’t know – how dare you not know, btw) in a wet t-shirt.  You’ll find me glued to the set to watch Castle and Beckett every Monday (when will these two finally connect?!), and I wouldn’t dare miss Booth and Brennan on Thursdays (pregnant what?).  But it’s nice to have nights when I just get to laugh, and watch characters whose jobs don’t depend on other people dying, you know?  

There are other shows on t.v. right now that leave watchers with a warm–fuzzy  when the credits roll (raise your hand if you love Big Bang Theory!), but there’s just something about New Girl.  I can’t explain it, but trust me; watch the show, and you’ll find yourself humming…

Who’s that girl? It’s Jess!

…with a smile on your face.  Happy watching, dear reader.  And here’s to smiles.  There just aren’t enough of ‘em in the world today.

No comments:

Post a Comment