Friday, January 20, 2012

And now for the woman who needs no introduction...

I just realized that there may eventually be people that read this blog that don’t know me (hello, "duh" moment), and before I wander off into one of my many tangents or crazy, looping mental trains of thought (it’s a water buffalo jack-knife, there’s horns everywhere!), perhaps I should introduce myself.  Here’s a brief introduction of the life that led me to where I am today:
To start, you should know that I’m a country girl with a suburban twist.  Grew up in a small town where I was related to just about everyone (insert redneck jokes here), and the family name was well-known and well-liked (at least by most).  I played sports in the same gym that boasted pictures of my dad and uncles with their various trophies.  I followed in footsteps I was never going to be able to fill.


(that's my dad, number 3)

Then we uprooted and moved to the big city.  Thankfully, we actually lived just outside the city in a quiet suburb, or I may have gone insane (just because you call it paranoia doesn’t mean that there aren’t really people out to get me).  I went to high school in the city, and participated in every club and activity I had time for.  (dangling participle!!)
Graduated, then moved to the greatest place on Earth…College Station, home of the Fightin’ Texas Aggies!  Can I get a “whoop”?!  (no, thanks, I've heard that hilarious Aggie joke you were just about to lay on me) Joined the Corps, and enjoyed most of four amazing years there (anyone from the Corps will understand the “most of” part of that comment).  Of course, 5 different majors in those 4 years made graduation a dream I never quite achieved.  Who knows, maybe some day I’ll make it back.  Sure would be nice.  But I digress (surprise, surprise).


(me and my grandparents at my last review)

After I decided I couldn’t decide (and my parents decided I had spent my college fund), I left A&M and headed back to central Texas, finally settling in New Braunfels.  It’s a beautiful town, with a lot of history and heritage, and is spread out enough that it doesn’t get that “city” feel.  I wouldn’t choose to live in the suburbs if I didn’t have to, but we can’t afford a place in the country just yet.  And by “we” I mean me and the hubby.  We met while working on the river in 2003, and have been together since our first date (yes, an "awwww" is appropriate, thanks for asking).  Married in 2007, we now have 2 beautiful kids and can’t wait to start trying for number 3.
Being a wife and mom is challenging, but rewarding.  I never thought I’d want this for myself, but now I can’t imagine life any other way.  My kids are my heart and my world, and you never understand that kind of love until you have your own (I highly recommend it, btw).


(aren't they beautiful!)


In 2006, the hubby and I opened a business, which we ran ourselves until 2010.  It was awesome, and awful.  But we learned a lot (most importantly, that we really don't enjoy working together all day, every day) and are grateful for the experience. After we closed the business, I got a job working as an engineering designer at a company in San Marcos.  Perhaps you've seen us when you're driving on I-35.


(so THAT's what that big red ball is for!)


So that brings me up to current times, where I work, raise kids, run a household and try to learn to be self-sufficient.  I have plans to plant a garden, and learn to can food (I make jelly, but there’s so much more out there to try), and anything else I can find that allows me to provide for my family.


To sum up, I was raised with redneck roots, and have spent my life getting back to a place where I can plant those roots and help them grow.  I may not seem "country" to some people, but I'm okay with that.  I know that I bleed maroon, and my long hair just can't cover up my red neck.  And that's good enough for me.

2 comments: