Saturday, February 4, 2012

A failure and a pizza maker...

Okay, so here’s what happened… (insert believable story here)
Alright, alright, no excuses.  I missed yesterday’s post.  To be honest, I had half of it written, and expected to write the other half last night after using the quesadilla maker, but the hubs threw me off my game by wanting to go out to dinner instead (some bbq place in town had all you can eat ribs).
Since I missed last week’s Fricassee Friday post (no, there is no trend starting here), I had decided to use and review two of my handy-dandy kitchen gadgets this week instead of just one.  But so far, I’ve only been able to use one.  I’ll try to use the quesadilla maker tonight, so I can submit a second kitchen post later this weekend.  Promise.
I’ll be showing you my Pizazz pizza cooker in this post, and my new quesadilla maker in the next.  You might be saying to yourself, “self, why would I need a pizza cooker and a quesadilla maker?  I can make pizzas in the oven, and quesadillas in a pan on the stove.”  And you’d be right (even if it’s weird that you talk to yourself).  I used to do both of those things.  Have for years.  But folks, there’s a better way (do I sound like one of those tv pitchmen yet?).
The Pizazz was hubs’ idea.  I had the same thought as you…why get a small appliance that only does one thing, instead of just putting my frozen pizzas in the oven?  Well, I have an answer for that question.  Several, actually.
The Pizazz is only designed to make pizzas; that’s what it does, and it does it really well.  You have alternating controls to cook only on top, only on bottom, or both at the same time.  This feature really comes into play when using a rising-crust pizza or when making your own from scratch (no, I haven’t done that, but I did read the instruction manual).  Rising crust pizzas need more cooking time on the bottom than on the top, which is impossible to set in your oven.  But it’s super easy on the Pizazz.  See, look:

Regular frozen pizzas are cooked using top and bottom cooking simultaneously.  You just put the spinning tray in it’s spot, put the pizza on it, plug it in, and set your timer.  Usually takes about 12 to 14 minutes for a fully frozen pizza to cook.  Yes, I know that’s the same amount of time you’d put it in your oven.  But here’s a huge benefit.  Instead of using the electricity to heat up your entire oven for one little frozen pizza, you use just enough to heat up a metal tray and a top heating coil.  Much smaller than the one in your oven, fyi.
(I know, the picture isn't super clear...I was using my phone's camera)

So it’s quick, easy to clean (no more melted pizza cheese on the bottom of your oven), easy to store, and works like a champ.  We’ve had ours for probably 5 years or so, and never had an issue with it.  As much as I protested buying an appliance that only does one specific thing, I’m glad I sucked up my complaints and bought the Pizazz.  It was totally worth it.
Okay, there’s one review, and right on its heels will come number two, the quesadilla maker.  Please don’t give up on me, dear reader, I’ll get in the swing of this yet.  Thanks for hanging in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment